Mount Rushmore Sightseeing Tour
Every day from mid-May through October our sightseeing tour carves its way through the Black Hills beginning at Fort Hays, Dances with Wolves Film Set.
Sightseeing Tour of Mount Rushmore & the Black Hills
Departing mid-morning, the tour winds its way along scenic highways visiting attractions like Mount Rushmore National Memorial, Custer State Park, and Crazy Horse Memorial. Our informative tour guide drives you through 100 miles of the Black Hills National Forest, stopping for pictures of wildlife and more. Returning to Fort Hays, the Mount Rushmore sightseeing tour ends but you’re welcome to purchase tickets for our famous Chuckwagon Supper and Live Music Show at the door!
- Departs daily from May 14, 2017 – October 15, 2017
8:15 a.m. – Check-in at Fort Hays Dances with Wolves film set.
Feel free to come early and join the “All-You-Can-Eat” Cowboy Pancake Breakfast at our chuckwagon
9 a.m. – Board the coach at Fort Hays Dances With Wolves film set
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial: We spend at least an hour visiting Mount Rushmore. There is plenty of time to see all the park has to offer, including the sculptors studio and the Lincoln Borglum Museum.
- Iron Mountain Road: We wind over the Peter Norbeck National Scenic Byway as it takes you over Iron Mountain through scenic tunnels and pigtail bridges. Bring your camera for potential Kodak moments here!
- Custer State Park: Keep your camera ready and your eyes on the lookout for wildlife like buffalo, burros, antelope, elk, and rocky mountain bighorn sheep. We stop when it’s safe.
- State Game Lodge: Our lunch stop is the presidential summer white house to former president Calvin Coolidge and Dwight D. Eisenhower. Here, you can purchase lunch from a menu or buffet. Try the buffalo stew!
- Needles Highway: We continue through Custer State Park up Needles Highway passing through scenic tunnels and by scenic overlooks. Check your camera, there are great pictures here! For a sneak peek at what we have in store, search “Charter Bus in Rock Tunnel” on YouTube!
- Sylvan Lake: Stop for pictures and a restroom break at the spectacular man-made lake located at the bottom of Harney Peak. This picturesque lake is a local favorite for campers, rock climbers, and hikers.
- Crazy Horse Memorial: Staying for at least one hour, we visit the largest mountain carving in the world. You can visit the memorial and museums and learn much about the sculptor Korzak Ziolkowski in his home studio museum.
5:30 p.m. – Return to Fort Hays Chuckwagon