Buffalo Round-Up Tour
September 28th Exclusive | Custer State Park Annual Event | Experience the Wild West!
Experience the Wild West with one of the nation’s largest Buffalo roundups. Take the narrated bus tour and see the buffalo rumble through the hills of Custer State Park.
Custer State Park Buffalo Roundup
Watch the cowboys herd in over 1,500 wild buffalo to brand, sort, and vaccinate for the annual Custer State Park Buffalo Roundup and Auction. Mount Rushmore Tours offers three unique tours available for the buffalo roundup on Friday September 28, 2018. All park entrance fees are included in our packages. Feel the thunder and join the herd at the Annual Custer State Park Buffalo Roundup!
Watch cowboys and cowgirls as they roundup and drive the herd of 1,500 buffalo into the buffalo corrals.
6:30 a.m. – Check-in: Check in at the Fort Hays Dances with Wolves film set located four miles South of Rapid City, SD on Highway 16W for your tickets. Fill up on pancakes at the “All-You-Can-Eat” Cowboy Breakfast at our chuckwagon with complete package.
7:15 a.m. – Board Coach: Board the coach at the Fort Hays Dances with Wolves film set. Your driver for the day begins the narrated Black Hills tour with stops at Custer State Park. Keep your camera ready and your eyes on the lookout over the hills of Custer State Park as you feel the ground shake and hear the thunder of buffalo coming over the hill tops.
- 2-3 hours: Buffalo Roundup (and lunch with complete package and lunch package) – Our lunch stop is in the corrals of the Buffalo Roundup. After the roundup, we continue through Custer State Park up Needles Highway passing through scenic tunnels and by scenic overlooks (be prepared for camera stops).
- 15-20 minutes: Sylvan Lake – Stop for pictures at the spectacular man-made lake located at the bottom of Harney Peak.
- 60-90 minutes: Crazy Horse Mountain & Memorial – Staying for at least one hour, we visit the largest mountain carving in the world. You can visit the memorial and learn much about the sculptor Korzak Ziolkowski in his home studio museum.
- 60-90 minutes: Mount Rushmore – We spend at least an hour visiting Mount Rushmore. There is plenty of time to see all the park has to offer including the sculptor’s studio and the Lincoln Borglum Museum.
6 p.m. – Return to Fort Hays: Return to Fort Hays Dances with Wolves film set.
6:30 p.m. – Fort Hays Chuckwagon Supper & Variety Music Show: The supper bell rings calling everyone to the feed line where the cowboys serve up your chuckwagon supper, with the complete package.
7:15 to 8:15 p.m. – The Fort Hays Wranglers take the stage to entertain you with the Black Hills’ most popular music variety show! You have a foot stompin’, belly shakin’, good time! Family fun for everyone! Bring your camera and take some pictures. We wind everything up in time for you to travel to Mount Rushmore for the lighting ceremony!
Cowboy Chuckwagon Menu
- Chuckwagon potatoes
- Sliced beef simmered in BBQ sauce
- Baked chicken
- Western baked beans
- Ranch biscuits and honey
- Chunky applesauce
- Old-fashioned spice cake
- Cowboy coffee
- Tenderfoot lemonade
Our entire meal is served on a tin plate hand crafted at the Fort Hays tin shop!