1880 Train Sightseeing Tour
Catch a ride behind a vintage diesel engine, in a restored 1880’s train car, to meet your motor coach tour of the Black Hills and our world class monuments.
Black Hills Sightseeing Tour
Start your adventure at 7:30 a.m. with an early morning, one-way trip on the 1880 Train from Hill City to Keystone.
In Keystone, you board the Mount Rushmore Tours coach in front of the 1880 Train depot at 9:15 a.m. for a monumental tour of Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Needles Highway, and the scenic roads and tunnels of Custer State Park. Package includes a one-way ride on the 1880 Train and a full-day tour of the Southern Black Hills.
The Black Hills sightseeing tour takes you back to Hill City at 5 p.m. Some restrictions apply.
7:30 a.m. – Check-in at the 1880 Train Depot in Hills City, SD.
See the Black Hills of South Dakota by vintage steam train. Experience this one-hour, relaxing 10-mile ride between Hill City and Keystone. This historical steam train experience is narrated and fun for railroad enthusiasts of all ages!
9:15 a.m. – Board the Mount Rushmore Tour at the Keystone depot pick-up location.
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial: We go through Keystone up to Mount Rushmore to spend at least an hour visiting the monument. There is plenty of time to see all the park has to offer including the sculptors studio and the Lincoln Borglum Museum.
- Iron Mountain Road: We wind over the Peter Norbeck National Scenic Byway as it takes you over Iron Mountain through scenic tunnels and pigtail bridges. Bring your camera for potential Kodak moments here!
- Custer State Park: Keep your camera ready and your eyes on the lookout for wildlife like buffalo, burros, antelope, elk, and rocky mountain bighorn sheep. We stop when it’s safe.
- State Game Lodge: Our lunch stop is the presidential summer white house to former president Calvin Coolidge. Here you can purchase lunch from a menu or buffet. Try the buffalo soup!
- Needles Highway: We continue through Custer State Park up Needles Highway passing through scenic tunnels and by scenic overlooks. Check your camera, there are great pictures here!
- Sylvan Lake: Stop for pictures and a restroom break at the spectacular man-made lake located at the bottom of Harney Peak. This picturesque lake is a local favorite for campers, rock climbers, and hikers.
- Crazy Horse Memorial: Staying for at least one hour, we visit the largest mountain carving in the world. You can visit the memorial and museums and learn much about the sculptor Korzak Ziolkowski in his home studio museum.
5:30 p.m. – Return to the 1880 Train Depot in Hill City
The 1880 Train Sightseeing Tour ends back where you started. Take some time to enjoy unique shopping at the Train Depot Gift Shops or snacking at the High-Liner Snack Shoppe. Also consider seeing the many boutique shops and restaurants in downtown Hill City.